With summer winding down and gardens producing great veggies, I thought I would share one of my favorite summer salads. It is quick, easy and very filling. You can serve it with just about any kind of meat. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 1/2 lbs red potatoes, cut in half
- 3/4 lbs of fresh, trimmed and snapped green beans
- Chopped fresh basil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, I like raspberry flavored
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce, I just about 1/3 a cup
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place the potatoes in a large pot, and fill with about 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Add the green beans to steam after the first 10 minutes. Drain, cool, and cut potatoes into quarters. Transfer to a large bowl, and toss with fresh basil, red onion, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, mustard, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and olive oil. Pour over the salad, and stir to coat. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
Summer is always a fun time of year, and it’s full of great food and friends. It’s a time to unwind, enjoy the sunshine and be grateful for all that God has blessed you with.
When I prepare meals or socials I like to do quick and easy recipes; so here is one for you to enjoy and it is somewhat healthy.
1 container Mozzarella balls
1 package Old Wisconsin Honey Brown Sausage Snack Bites
1 small package of Spinach leafs
1 small package Cherry Tomatoes
Balsamic Vinegar (I used Raspberry flavored)
1 package skew sticks
Alternate placing 1 of each item on the skew until the skew is half full. Once all ingredients are used, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and let set in refrigerator until ready to serve. Can also be put in a dish without the skews and served as a salad.
Enjoy!!! Thanks Marcia L. for the recipe.
People come and go in your life but a true friend is always there. No matter how long it has been since you have seen them or spoken with them. Take time to make that phone call or drop them a letter. Do it now while they are still here!!!
Today, I am sharing two of my favorite holiday recipes for you to share with your friends and family. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family and friends do.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 pint whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces bourbon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 egg whites
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat egg yolks until they light in color. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Add milk, cream, bourbon and nutmeg and stir to combine.
Place the egg whites in the bowl and beat to soft peaks. With the mixer still running gradually add 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
Whisk the egg whites into the mixture. Chill and serve. Top with a sprinkle of nutmeg and cool whip (optional).
Milk Gravy and Biscuits
- 1/4 cup bacon or sausage drippings
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp ground black pepper or to taste
- 4 cups of milk
- Bacon/sausage crumbles
- Biscuits, homemade are the best but Grands are good
Heat bacon/sausage drippings in a skillet over medium heat; whisk flour into drippings until smooth. Reduce heat to low and cook the flour mixture until it turns a caramel brown color, stirring constantly, about 15 minutes. Be careful, the roux burns easily. Stir in salt and black pepper.
Whisk 1/2 cup milk into the roux until thoroughly blended. Continue whisking milk into the gravy, 1/2 cup at a time, whisking in each amount of milk completely before adding more. Bring gravy to a simmer and whisk constantly until thick, smooth, and bubbling.
Add crumbled bacon or sausage then serve over biscuits or toast and enjoy. I have this for any meal of the day!!!
One of my favorite, fast, comforting dishes is beef stroganoff. So, thought I would share this one with you. This takes about 20 minutes to make and is very filling..
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 pkg. (11.6 oz.) VELVEETA CHEESY SKILLETS Dinner Kit Creamy Beef Stroganoff
Brown meat with mushrooms in large skillet; drain. Return meat mixture to skillet. Add milk, water, Seasoning Mix and Pasta; stir. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover.
Simmer 8 to 10 min. or until pasta is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
Stir in VELVEETA Cheese Sauce.
I serve with garlic bread or a bread stick.
One of the best recipes I have for apples is one of the easiest. With Fall upon us, I thought I would share it. Hope you enjoy……
Quick Apple Crisp
5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 – 9 oz. pkg. yellow cake mix
2 tbsp. sugar
1 – 2 tbsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place sliced apples in greased and floured pan. combine remaining ingredients. Mix until crumbly. Sprinkle mixture evenly over apples. Bake 35 – 40 minutes or until apples are tender. Can add Vanilla ice cream or thawed whipped topping when serving. Great served cold or warm. For a change, use any fruit like peaches, strawberries, etc.; quick and easy recipe.
Great for a game day or party dish.
- 1 lb of lean ground beef or turkey
- 8 oz package of cream cheese, cubed & softened
- 2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 10 oz can of diced tomatoes with green chiles – do not drain
- 6 oz package of real bacon bits, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Nacho Chips
- Brown meat, drain and place in large skillet
- Over low heat, stir in cheeses, tomatoes and bacon bits except for 2 tablespoons
- Cook while stirring frequently until well blended and heated
- Pour mixture into a 2-quart crock pot
- Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours stirring occasionally
- Stir in parsley and sprinkle with remaining bacon bits just before serving
Serve as an appetizer or main dish with Nacho Chips.
I found out yesterday that a true Summer Hummer drink is made with Lime Vodka. So, thank you Carrie D., I had to share this today. Hope you enjoy it!
- 2 oz. Absolut Citron®
- 4 oz. Lemonade
- 2 oz. 7-up
Chilled Lime Vodka is preferred but drinks may be served “on the rocks” if desired. Strain lemonade if necessary. Combine ingredients in an 8 Oz. glass. Stir and serve. Great for Hot summer evenings – hence the name.