With summer winding down and gardens producing great veggies, I thought I would share one of my favorite summer salads. It is quick, easy and very filling. You can serve it with just about any kind of meat. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 1/2 lbs red potatoes, cut in half
- 3/4 lbs of fresh, trimmed and snapped green beans
- Chopped fresh basil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, I like raspberry flavored
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce, I just about 1/3 a cup
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place the potatoes in a large pot, and fill with about 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Add the green beans to steam after the first 10 minutes. Drain, cool, and cut potatoes into quarters. Transfer to a large bowl, and toss with fresh basil, red onion, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, mustard, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and olive oil. Pour over the salad, and stir to coat. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.