1 (15 oz) can sweet potatoes, drained * (2 Tbsp liquid reserved)
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash sweet potatoes in *2 Tbsp of reserved liquid.
- Add sugar, water, oil, and eggs to mashed sweet potatoes and mix well.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and baking powder. Mix well.
- Stir in chopped pecans.
- Pour evenly into prepared pan. Bake for 70 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes in the pan. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
*Apple pie spice or cinnamon can be substituted for pumpkin pie spice.
You can add sliced pecans on top before cooking for more flavor or a thin maple glaze frosting after the bread has cooled.
Maple Glaze: 1 cup confectioners sugar and 1/2 cup pure maple syrup; blend well drizzle over cooled loaf.
This recipe makes one loaf of bread, but it is delicious. Consider doubling this recipe – one loaf will be gone before you know it! This recipe is a perfect start to a Fall morning – enjoy with a hot cup of coffee or tea.