This is a great recipe for movie night.
1 – 2 cups un-popped popcorn
3 cups of granulated white sugar
1/4 cup dark rum
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pop the popcorn on the stove with oil. Place popped popcorn in a large bowl.
- Cover one to two sheet pans with aluminum foil.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, rum, butter, vanilla, and salt. Heat over medium heat, stirring very often. Cook until sugar melts and caramel becomes a dark caramel color, careful not to burn because it scorches fast. Takes about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the baking soda and keep stirring. Be careful as it bubbles up quickly and almost doubles in quantity. Quickly remove from heat, pour over the popcorn and stir quickly to coat all the corn.
- Spread the caramel corn out on foil lined sheet pans and allow to cool.
Option: You can add your favorite nut to this, just add them before you coat the popcorn so they can be coated also.
Another option: Bourbon Caramel Corn, use your favorite Bourbon instead of rum or Salted Whiskey Caramel Corn, use your favorite Whiskey and sea salt instead of rum.